Thursday, December 31, 2009

Cheese Fondue

This evening I am feeding leftover cheese fondue to the dogs. Did you know that if you let the pot dry out it is much easier to scrape off the leftover cheese and clean the pot? Well, I don’t have any meat on hand this evening to mix in with my dog’s kibble and as it is New Years Eve, I thought I would share… even though the cost of a box of cheese fondue now is 12.99.
Years ago, I used to buy them all the time - they were only a few dollars. But with the weak dollar and cost of oil …things have changed. It is still less expensive and more convenient to buy the packages than to make it from scratch. I don’t have time to track down a Fendant or a good dry Kirsch these days. Now, if money, time and availability were no object this is what you would do:
  • Cut a clove of garlic in half and rub it all around the fondue pot.
  • Grate Gruyere, Emmenthal and Appenzel cheese into pot. You can vary the portions to your taste.
  • Pour up to one bottle of Swiss white wine into pot.
  • Add a couple of tablespoons of Kirsch.
  • Fresh white and black pepper

Heat and stir until all melted and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment